Sunday, September 9, 2012

Tatting

"The exercise of the art of Tatting as known to
our grandmothers,...was never more elaborate
than a neat, but rather substantial edging for a
child's dress or a lady's frill..."
                       ~Mrs. Stephens, 1854

      Finally my week is over now and I have some relaxing to do! I have been wanting to post about tatting for a little while now and was only just able to take the pictures. Tatting is one of my favorite kinds of lace and I have amassed a small collection of it over the years. I have vintage and brand new pieces and I display them everywhere! Tatting is a kind of lace that is made with knots and loops in different patterns and it dates to the early 19th century. In England it is called knotting and in France it is known as frivolite. As far as I know 'tatting' is the American term. I find it to be very ethereal and delicate with it's patterned chains and loops and I tend to put it on top of other kinds of lace as an extra pretty layer. My two favorites are the pink tatting doilies and they were both made by a very talented lady who has a lovely ebay shop. I have also drawn a new little doodle for fun. I didn't really know what it would be when I started but this was the finished product...

I am linking with:
Pink Saturday























10 comments:

  1. Hi Jennelise so beautiful the items the pictures. So fell in love especially the cup with gold handle.. spectacular... love the lace and beads too.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennelise! WOW!!! Your photos are absolutely gorgeous! I love the way that tatting looks with those beautiful cups/dishes and flowers! So pretty! Thanks for sharing! Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an artist you are!! That's a real art---making that thin silken thread into such elaborate, perfect loops and swags and swirls.

    An Aunt-By-Marriage used to sit and tat on her visits with us, letting the lacy froth cascade down her lap as it grew beneath her fingers---and I swear, she sometimes used old fashioned hairpins in the work.

    And my high school Senior Picture features a frothy white collar above my black sweater (said collar borrowed by each successive girl for her photograph, so we all matched on the big framed "Year of" portrait at the school). I think we bought the collar, for all the ladies in our family just crocheted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely! What a beautiful memory! I have a little tatting collar too - it is so delicate. Thankyou for your beautiful comment!
      Jennelise

      Delete
  4. Çok harika bir blogunuz var bayıldım güzel işlerinizi benim blogumda paylaştım umarım sakıncası yoktur. Bu güzellikleri arkadaşlarımda görsün istedim.Çok zarif ,çok estetik ellerinize sağlık .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous tatted pieces, Jennelise. (Your photography is always gorgeous) It so reminds me of a long passed favorite aunt who used to tat & attach the little "flowers" onto her stationery. So lovely. Sadly I only have the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jennelise, such a lovely collection of tatting. Your photos are beautiful and really show the beauty of each piece. I love how the tatting looks with the charming pink and white. Your art doodle is gorgeous!

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely blog you have. I enjoyed your photos so much. As a child, I remember an elderly neighbor who tatted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although my grandmother tatted, an elderly neighbor, Mrs. Setzer taught me how to tat when I was around 8 to 10 years-old. She taught me shuttle tatting vs. needle tatting because she said that it revealed the gracefulness of the hands. Your blog brought back precious memories of the time spent under her expert yet gentle tutelage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think tatting is an incredible art form. I didn't really think anyone was doing it anymore. Some years ago, I came across paper greeting cards with a tatted edge and I scooped them up. An elderly lady in my town did them for a fundraiser, can you imagine...

    It's wonderful that you have such appreciation for the ancient sewing arts, Jennelise. Fine embroidery work, needlepoint, even crocheting and knitting, not to mention tatting, or even sewing and quilting is not seen widely these days as in the days of our ancestors. So much of it then was necessity rather than for a hobby. I love how the ladies of times past did so much to pretty-up their world. Something humble could be turned into something special once these ladies worked their magic.

    ReplyDelete